Thursday, July 8, 2010

Allison and Braden

I have been fortunate enough to have my 15 year old niece and 13 year old nephew spend a few days with me.

The three of us spent Monday together watching movies and marveling over the down pours of rain that came on suddenly and stopped just as suddenly.

After supper on Monday night (which I made with my own two hands), Braden got picked up by one of my sisters.  My sister and brother-in-law were planning to take Braden golfing.

So Tuesday saw Allison and I alone.  We slept in because we had been up late the night before watching "Forrest Gump".  In the afternoon Allison and I went shopping which is one of Allison's favorite things to do.  We lucked out at the Dollarama store but otherwise we just window shopped.

After supper on Tuesday my sister brought Braden back to my place and took Allison to her place.

On Wednesday Braden and I spent part of the afternoon building a hideout using tree branches.  We had a fun time.  We found some "treasures" in the area around our hideout.  We also discovered that our hideout provided pretty good shelter from the rain as a brief shower fell while we were working on the hideout.

My sister picked up Braden after supper on Wednesday.  Then she will meet up with Allison's and Braden's mom on Thursday.

So why am I telling you about this?  Because even though at times the weather prevented us from doing some of the things we had planned, we still had a great time together.  It has been quite a while since I have had Allison and Braden visit me and stay overnight.  Although the kids live only 3 hours away and we talk on the phone at least weekly, I don't get to see them as much as I would like to.

Being with Allison and Braden and doing the things they like to do gives me an opportunity to be a hands on aunt like I was with my older nephews.  Ever since my oldest nephew was born I promised myself that I would be as much a part of his life as I could and that continued as each of the boys came along.

I just want to say "Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity you gave me to spend some special time together with Allison and Braden.  I am proud to be their aunt."

Have you hugged a kid today?

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a marvellous time. So glad for you.

    Haven't hugged any kids today -- do hubbies and kitties count?

    ReplyDelete