Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Unexamined Life

This week I have been working my way through a book by Julia Cameron called "The Right to Write."  I have been enjoying the exercises at the end of each chapter.

Last evening as I was reading I came upon a dialogue Julia was having with a friend.  They were talking about being so busy they felt they didn't have time to do the type of writing they needed to put things into perspective.  The friend said that he felt "unexamined" when he couldn't write about his feelings on things he was involved in.

As I read that sentence the phrase "the unexamined life" popped into my mind and struck a particular chord.  I find that there are times when I don't want to examine my thoughts and feelings because I'm just too afraid to go there.  Other times I dig so deep in my examination that I come away feeling raw inside.  But I know that there has to be a happy medium between the two extremes that will be beneficial to my maturity and growth as a person.  I just need to slow down a bit, find that happy medium and go on from there.

I believe that the "unexamined life" is a stunted one where there is little or no real growth or maturity.  I think a "shallow life" is the result of an "unexamined life".

So I am making the choice today to live an "examined life" in a way that will help me become mature and the person I am meant to be in this world.

Are you living an "unexamined life"?  Think about it.

2 comments:

  1. We've been under the microscope..... amazing what shows up when He turns on the Light!

    I used to be afraid of what we'd find when He did that, but I've learned and always lean into that truth that no matter what we find, He's there to wipe the slate clean!

    So it's a win-win when we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Do you remember Betty from Central P. days.... little gal with beautiful red hair. She's got a blog here....

    http://hopefullyminded.blogspot.com/2010/06/i-thought-id-try-being-prompted.html

    I thought you might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete